Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I am sorry that I have been M.I.A. for awhile, but I am back in full force.  This long intermission between posts has proved to be fruitful because it gave me some time to reflect on what I want this blog to become.  I have to admit, a bit selfishly, that this blog is mostly for me.  I hope that it shapes me as much as it shapes my many *cough* readers.  I have been thinking quite a bit lately about the issue of style and what it means to have style.  I think style means testing the boundaries of current trends and allowing yourself to be influenced by different modes all around you.  Style is about taking bits and pieces from various generations, fads, stores, art movements, and people.  Style is about influencing and being influenced- there should be a curiosity and a certain amount of bravery involved.  It should be about what looks and feels good on you personally, not what looks good on the mannequin or model.  I do not think that putting on a designer dress that you paid a thousand dollars for makes you stylish- it is how you wear it.  (Although I am not against designer dresses.)  Fashion is about wearable art and is a science- there is experimentation involved and sometimes mistakes are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment